Presentation Prayer Book for the first Bride married in the Church, December 2nd 1875
ST. STEPHEN’S, EAST TWICKENHAM. ~ Book of Common Prayer in a brass carrying case.
London Eyre & Spottiswoode
The book is inscribed and the brass case is engraved with the details of this presentation: "Presented by the Vicar & Churchwardens of St Stephen's East Twickenham to the first Bride married in the Church, December 2nd 1875". In excellent condition with a small dent to the case.
St. Stephens was built in the 1870s and is a fine example of Gothic Revival Architecture, designed by T.M. Lockwood and T.H. Mawson, best known for their model community in Saltaire in Yorkshire. The Duchess of Teck, George V's mother in law laid the foundation stone and by 1st December 1875 the nave was ready for consecration. Clearly the next day, the first Bride was married in the new, unfinished Church.
stock ref: 9716