Launched on 14th December 2015 is our first cookery e-catalogue (see our catalogues page).
Included in this small but perfectly formed catalogue are:
- 6 original manuscript 19th century recipe books
- a fascinating manuscript grocer’s account book from Herne Bay
- an excellently written three volume typescript cookery manuscript compiled by the flamboyant Lady Meux of Theobold’ Oark in Hertfordshire in 1900. Apart from her obvious flair and interest in cookery she is known for driving a phaeton pulled by zebras in London, putting a roller-skating rink in her house, her astonishing collection of Egyptian artefacts and the three portraits of her painted by Whistler.
- first edition of John Nott’s important Cook’s and Confectioner’s Dictionary of 1723
- the first edtion and the first one volume edition of Brillat-Savarin’s Physiologie du Gout
- original slides of varieties of grapes shown to pioneering farmers in California
-a signed edition of Elizabeth David’s English Bread and Yeast Cookery
- a first edition of William Verral’s Complete System of Cookery
and much more...
19 October 2015
Catalogue 22 - Illustrated & Press Books, Fine Bindings, Artists' Books, Prints and Works on Paper
Our Autumn catalogue is about to be published.
If you would like a hard copy please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Otherwise please watch out for its online publication on our catalogues page.
19 March 2015
Catalogue 21 now available
Private Press, Illustrated & Artist's Books, Fine Bindings and Prints
Just published - go to the catalogues page to view:
09 January 2015
Je suis Charlie
29 September 2014
SELTZER MEMORIAL LECTURE AT THE THOMAS FISHER LIBRARY
COLLECTING PRIVATE PRESS BOOKS
I am extremely fortunate to have been asked by the remarkable Anne Dondertman, Director of the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library, to deliver to Seltzer Memorial Lecture this year.
The lecture will be on Collecting Private Press Books. I am rather nervous but extremely excited to visiting the famous Thomas Fisher Library at long last.
15 October 2013
Posters from the Whittington Press - Exhibition 1st-14th November
We will be holding an exhibition to launch the latest book from the Whittington Press - Posters from the Whittington Press 1996-2013, by John and Patrick Randle.
It is a statuesque, beautifully printed book, full of the finest examples of Whittington Press printing.
The book will be on sale as will be individual posters from the Press.
If you would like to attend the private view, where the Randles will be available for questions or chat, it is on Thursday, 31st October 6.30-8.30 at the Gallery - 331 Portobello Road. Do let me know if you would like to attend.
A catalogue will be available online during the show.
05 June 2013
ANTE'S INFERNO by Griselda Heppel - WINNER OF THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD 2013
Griselda Heppel has won this year's People's Choice Award with her fantastic
debut novel for older children 'Ante's Inferno'.
It is a gripping variation on Dante's work for 9 to adult which captures the
imagination of all who read it.
Not only did it win the People's Choice Children's Award but it also won the
Silver award in the Wishing Shelf Independent Book Awards.
I thoroughly recommend it for you and your children and will facilitate orders
for anyone who is interested.
Even better, the book is beautifully designed by Pete Lawrence using a wood
engraving by Hilary Paynter for the wrappers.
The hardback is priced at 9.99, so get the first edition while you can - this is
your moment to get ahead of the game as we all failed to do with Harry
03 April 2013
The Schneideman Gallery
Dealer in rare books and prints
Illustrated and artists' books
Food & Wine books
Library Building & Collection Management in all fields